Imerman Angels

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Random thoughts

These are just a few things that are on my mind. It is tough to keep this going with marathon training and my various other activities, but I need to make an effort to update this a little more often.

Running with your music

Running with or without music will always be a topic within the running community. More often than not I will run with music myself, so I will not be leading the charge against running with music. One of the issues that I see while running is that people's iPods or whatever they use to lists to music is compromising their form. It makes running look harder than it already is.

The most common issue I see is with runners who have an iPod in one hand that is not moving while the free hand is. It is almost inpressive that a lot of people can do this regardless of how far they are going. I assume this is happening because they are trying to eliminate the cord bouncing as much so the ear bud will not come out. There are a couple of solutions that are worth looking into:

     1) One thing that works for me that I learned from others is to slip the cord inbetween  your body and  the shirt. There is not as much bounce and  the cord buds stay in my ear easier.

    2) Buying new headphones is always an option. I have never used wireless headphones or yurbuds, but those are two suggestions I hear quite a bit. Buying an armband or pouch that goes around your. waist is also an  option.

   3)  This is probably the least popular option,;run without music.  It is nice to zone out every once in a while  and listen to your body.

Obviously, nobody has to take any of these suggestions. These are just thoughts that hopefully will make running with music a little easier. Hopefully the last two will  cause people to think twice about replaying to a text while running.

Bouncing at stoplights

This is something I see runners do and never got. It seems counterintuitive to getting a little rest and would appear to cause the runner to  expend more energy.  I suggest walking around a little bit to allow other muscles to recover. It is also less strenuous on the body  and keeps the legs moving.

Bibchat

Therast two bibchat twitter chats have had two good topics. Last week we talked about having a run life balance. Here are the questions from last week to get more of an in-depth look at  what they asked us: https://twitter.com/BibRave/timelines/506882189594607616

Marathon update!

Training is continuing to go great! I can not say enough good things about the Hanson's method. I competed a 66 mile week and had three of better runs onwards the end of  last week. The only thing that is bothering me is a nagging shin issue that comes and goes. I keep telling my body to just get me through the marathon in one piece and I promise that I will take a break from running;hopefully it is listening.

Ten things you may not know about me

I recently got tagged in a post by Heather in a post to list 10 things people may not know about me and I am finally responding.

1-I am what I call a selective eater. Food is great and I love to eat;however, if I do but like how it smells or looks, I probably will not try it.

2-Keeping up with the food topic, I have a small allergy to pecans and walnuts

3-I love music and concerts. I attended 33 live music events last year. Free events are a good way to check out new bands

4-My friends do not believe me, but I consider myself a shy person

5-My family loves to call me old man

6-Non-fiction books are my book of choice, but I do love John Grisham

7-If it involves peanut butter, I will eat it(notice I am talking about food a lot)

8-Running use to terrify me and I never really stuck with it until a friend asked me to run a half with me. I thank her often for suggesting I do that half. I had never run more than five miles in my life, so I still wonder why I agreed to run that race.

9-I have seen Bring It On more than I am willing to admit

10-Seinfeld and The Cosby Show are my favorite tv shows

11*-I have some funny stories about strangers that love to talk to me. Here is an example from yesterday:

Some guy just came up to me out of nowhere in Wilmette:

What sports team do you play for?

Me:I don't play for one.

Guy-run?

Me-yeah

Guy-how far can you run?

Me-it depends on the day

Guy-tell me about it. How far did you run today?

I tell him and he just nods his head and goes sweet... Sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Haha - great convo! I also don't like to eat anything that doesn't smell good - usually if I don't like the sell, I don't like the taste. It's my simple test :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: running with music - I am a huge fan of the waist belt solution! Running with an iPhone on one arm makes me feel completely uneven. Another good solution is investing in an iPod shuffle. The shuffles are really small and clip directly to your clothes without weighing you down. -Liza (@run_boston)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post. I agree with you. The around the waist option is one that I really like to use.

      Delete